KATHMANDU, Nepal-As many as five thousand Nepalis were hit hard by the heavy downpour and the subsequent floods triggered by incessant rainfall in Uttarakhanda of India on June 16 and 17, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated.
The Ministry informed that nearly five thousand Nepalis including hotels and shop operators at Badrinath, Kedarnath and adjoining areas were affected by the floods and landslides. Likewise, Nepalese who reached there for pilgrimage turned victims due to disaster.
A team that went to the flood-affected zone from New Delhi last week for collecting information on the real situation of the Nepalis in the area made public that five thousand Nepali citizens including three thousand and nine hundred people who carried the pilgrims, 158 hotel operators were affected by the flood, Foreign Ministry spokesman Deepak Dhital said quoting the Nepalese Embassy in New Delhi, India.
Dhital said Nepalis suffered property loss of over four million Indian rupees following causality. The Indian authorities made it clear that Nepalis were not found to be involved in the looting of property after the disaster.
Similarly, those Nepali operating small shops near the temples and those who reached the sacred place for paying homage from different places of Nepal, were present in Uttarakhand when the disaster took place.
Hardly 200 Nepalis who went on pilgrimage to Badri Kedar during that time have come into contact so far.
More than thousand people were killed and thousands of other had gone missing following the disaster, according to Indian media.